Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #59
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Oh Yes! We do also love 'regular camping', and will be doing exactly that at this month's end, with friends.... But for our cross-country trek, we only parked to sleep; Park and to bed at 11:30pm and up and on the road by 6:00am, latest... nothing more, so it would have been a waste of money and amenities for us to check into a campground facility. Our next outing will, for sure, involve friends, the slide, awning, lawn chairs, grill and campfire! Happy Camping, Backatcha!
We do much of the same when visiting a distant location. I drive long hours to get there and often stop late at night to only sleep, although we normally stop at Interstate Rest Areas to do just that -- rest. We've never overnighted at WM or other retail store or restaurant.

The main reason we don't use campgrounds sometimes along the way is to save time. I don't like pulling into a CG at 11:00 PM or after office has closed (or after dark for that matter), so it would force us to stop much earlier in the day. That could easily turn a 2-day drive into a 3-day drive, etc. I also don't know when I'm going to get tired of driving so planning ahead is too limiting.

When we have a lot of free time we prefer to stay in campgrounds along the way, even if it means only covering 400 to 500 miles a day, although that makes traveling long distances more enjoyable. Campground costs aren't much of a factor since they represent a small part of total costs. Still, $50 or more to essentially park 6 to 8 hours just to sleep does seem like a big waste.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum