Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #60
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
We do much of the same when visiting a distant location. I drive long hours to get there and often stop late at night to only sleep, although we normally stop at Interstate Rest Areas to do just that -- rest. We've never overnighted at WM or other retail store or restaurant.

The main reason we don't use campgrounds sometimes along the way is to save time. I don't like pulling into a CG at 11:00 PM or after office has closed (or after dark for that matter), so it would force us to stop much earlier in the day. That could easily turn a 2-day drive into a 3-day drive, etc. I also don't know when I'm going to get tired of driving so planning ahead is too limiting.

When we have a lot of free time we prefer to stay in campgrounds along the way, even if it means only covering 400 to 500 miles a day, although that makes traveling long distances more enjoyable. Campground costs aren't much of a factor since they represent a small part of total costs. Still, $50 or more to essentially park 6 to 8 hours just to sleep does seem like a big waste.
Chance .. all you said is the way we traveled when we were young ! Been there done that !! Gosh...I remember 50 years ago, when we were kids...we jumped in the car and didn't stop til we got to Albuq ! .. the only destination we had at the time 'cause we had no gear.
Now, as senior citizens...the minute we leave our driveway we are on vacation. No more busting our you-know-whats to get to the destination...We drive about 6 hours a day, now ...or less if we see an area we like. Yes, we are still gainfully self-employed ... now, we build time into our trips to .. take our time and enjoy it .. not saying you do not enjoy your trip. Over the years of motorcycle travel/tent camping...van camping, etc...
we have had so much fun ! The big box stores have served the purpose for us...and I will never rule them out if we are in a bind. Our worst experience was in Chattanooga...a couple days before July 4...24 hour Walmart...by the time we were ready to sleep, a rig pulled up on each side of us..between the noise from them and the store traffic...we left at dark-thirty to hit the road with a bit of sleep ! Oh my, the stories we can tell of camping experiences over the years !

OK...I am done....enjoy chatting with you all !! Have a great weekend !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.