Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Bird testing?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If the BIRD and Trombetta are operating correctly, the voltages on the house batteries and Chassis batteries should read the same whether you are running the engine (alternator) or you are on shore power or the generator.

From the voltages you are reading:

Shore power - nothing is charging. This is not a Trombetta/BIRD problem.
Generator - The house battery is charging but the chassis battery is not. This could be a BIRD/Trombetta problem but (to be honest) I do not understand how the house batteries are being charged while on the generator but not on shore power? If the 100 amp breaker at the left hand corner of your house battery box is closed (and I think it must be because the house batteries are being charged under generator) then my best guess is the transfer switch. Again, I do not fully understand the workings of the transfer switch. Maybe someone else can explain how the transfer switch works and if it is possible for it to work while on generator but not on shore power. You do not need the Trombetta to close to charge the house batteries while on shore power or generator. On shore power or generator the Trombetta must close to charge the chassis battery. The opposite under the alternator.
Finally, on the alternator, the chassis battery is charging, but the house batteries are not. Could be a BIRD or Trombetta problem.

I assume from the voltages, that you hooked into shore power first, then ran the generator for a bit and then the engine?

I also do not understand why under the generator the BIRD is putting out 13.14v to the Trombetta and the Trombetta is not opening (indicating that the Trombetta is not operating) but that the BIRD is only putting out 12.4v to the Trombetta while the alternator is running? I would check and see if the BIRD is wired correctly and if the Trombetta is working.

It appears to me that you have one problem (possibly with the transfer switch) involving the generator and shore power and another problem either with the way the BIRD is installed or a bad BIRD or Trombetta.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.