Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #9
jk in sa

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sierra
State: Texas
THOR #5022
Thor slideout problem

I just wanted to follow-up and thank everybody for their input. Turns out the problem was the motor on one side. Seems the Schwintek motor may have never been properly seated in the position meant to keep it from rotating (torquing) when in operation. The screw which held the motor in place on the
outside of the RV did not line up properly with the slot in the motor and was actually pressing against the motor body about 3/16 inch above the slot. Whenever I would run the slide, it appears the motor would torque about a half inch as evident of the marks where the screw was pressing the motor body and consequently tearing tiny bits of metal from the motor body (tiny filings really) that would be drawn into the slot opening and hence into the motor winding due to magnetism. I believe the filings gradually caused the motor to fail. I further believe that the problem stemmed from the original assembly of the the slideout at the factory as it was apparent that the motor was not properly seated and the screw to hold it in place was hastily installed missing the slot. When I installed the replacement motor, I made sure it seated properly (4 set screws on the bottom of the motor must line up with holes in the place where the motor sits) and when I installed the screw from the outside to hold the motor in place, it entered the slot properly to prevent the motor from torquing. Seems to work just fine now.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.