Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #16
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Actually if you look closely at the Schwintek mechanism: The motor at the top just drives a shaft all the way down to the bottom gear. Thus without the motors the top and bottom should remain aligned (provided the rack & pinions aren't damaged) due to the shaft.

The problem with the timing is left-right, not top bottom as that is mechanically connected.

In addition: The gear reduction is part of the motor unit, by removing the motor you're also removing the reduction gears leaving the pinions free to rotate with very little resistance.
Jamie, I know how the top and bottom are synchronized by being driven from one common shaft per side -- that part is obvious. But I'm not referring to timing, which is also obvious.

What I expect is not as obvious is what I tried to explain, but apparently failed in describing clearly enough.

Just because you remove the motors, it doesn't mean that the top and bottom drives are not under opposing (and equal) loads. Keep in mind I'm talking about forces, not timing.

Pinions, while they will rotate on rack under load, will not do so without some friction. No mechanical drive is 100% efficient because of friction. And it's that friction I'm referring to. When we manually push a slide in, we are driving one pinion against the other (although both rotate in same direction).

Anyway, it doesn't really matter other than the fact that slides as presently designed will not be easy to move by hand. And I'm certain it goes well beyond the weight of the slide room on the rollers.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.