Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Gen Set
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 12:59 AM   #11
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Gen set had stopped on its own several times. Back story: Bought used unit about 2 months ago, 2014 with 3,200 miles and only 230 hours on Onan generator. Drove from dealership with generator running. It stayed running for 62 miles and a little over an hour. The next 3 or 4 times it shut down after about 20 to 40 minutes.

I checked everything. It was down about 1/5 quart of oil. Topped the oil off and then several days later tired it again. Shut down after about 30 minutes. Then I read on here about the blinking lights on the switch. I was all prepared to record the blinks to figure it out.

Filled the tank after our 1350 miles run. Added some stabilizer because we may not do another trip until April. I have now ran the gen set for over 2 hours, two different times, and it won't shut itself down!

I plan on doing some work at the storage site and will be running it again this week for an extended period. So if it doesn't shut down on its own again, what was the original problem? Was it the fact that it needed a slight adjustment in oil level? Just needed more run time because previous owner rarely ran it?
I had a similar problem with my Onan in a previous RV and my local mechanic told me to run Seafoam thru it periodically. One can of Seafoam cured my poor running generator problems and I have never had problems since. It may be your stabilizer cleaned the carborator in your genny enough to let it run. Seafoam is a cheap fix if a dirty carb is your problem. I run a can thru every couple of months.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.