Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

My understanding is that they use a tubular aluminum frame, but the walls and such are this plywood core stuff.
When I visited the Thor plant last year, I did not see any plywood in the exterior construction. But I did not get the "full" view of the wall construction as they had quit for the day when we visited that area.

The walls were square tube aluminum welded together with foam core between them, with a sheet of fiberglass panel on the exterior, and a sheet of luan (Philippine Mahogany) on the interior - all glued and pressed together on an immense press.

All of the fastener locations used steel backing plates, so most of the screws went into sheet steel rather than the aluminum channel.

However, I was able to obtain some sidewall drawings from Thor, and I see that there is a bit of plywood in areas that probably need more stiffening, such as where the table mounts to the wall, the sides of the front berth overhang, etc.

So it is likely that the plywood is minimal (at least in the "shell"), and the plywood I encountered is likely "local" to that area.

Also, per the drawings I see, the roof is plywood screwed down over the aluminum square tubing.

Unfortunately, though, I did not get a drawing of the rear wall. I asked Thor for it, but so far, I have not heard back from them.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum