Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
Thordog

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #5357
30a to 15a stepdown adapter trips house GFI outlet

A couple of weeks ago I had to spend a night at Camping World while they resolved an issue with our coach. They were nice enough to provide a 15 amp outlet so I could have basic power that night. This was the first time I had to use my step down 30a-15a dogbone adapter. When hooking it up to the outlet it tripped the GFI there. We tried everything - made sure nothing was running in the coach (a/c, etc), even going as far as enabling the battery disconnect switch. The techs at CW said it must be a bad GFI outlet and apologized. We ended up using the generator.

Well the other day I wanted to plug in at home before leaving on a trip. I attempting to plug into an outlet in our garage (also GFI) and it did the same exact thing.

So I made a call to Thor and the tech there told me that I should plug into a non GFI outlet since GFI outlets have the polarity reversed and that is what is causing it to trip.

Once I ran the extension cord inside and plugged into a non GFI 15a outlet everything worked fine.

What's concerning to me is how CW was totally oblivious to this and thought it was their GFI outlet that was to blame.

My question is what do others do to connect their coaches to 15a outlets at home when most garage and outdoor plugs are GFI? Is there a special adapter I need to plug into my stepdown 30a-15a dogbone adapter?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum