Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I had to get rid of my '09 Nissan Maxima because I could not flat tow it as it had a CVT. It's likely though that your Nissan is pre CVT.

I replaced it with a 2014 Ford Taurus which can be flat towed, but then, my mom decided to buy a new car, and I bought her 2002 Pontiac Grand Am, which can also be towed.

I just could not bring myself to drilling holes in my new Taurus.

The owner's manual is typically the most accurate. It sounds that it cannot be flat towed according to your description.

The only scuttlebutt I have heard about Remco transmission pumps is some like them, some don't. Again, take everything on the internet with a dose of skepticism, so whether or not a pump will work for you is something you may need to research further.

And those pumps are not cheap. Plan on about $1,000 for the pump and $1,000 for installation (which a transmission shop needs to do).

And you will probably have to have a second battery and/or a provision to extend power from the coach to the car as the pump will almost surely drain the battery quickly.

All in all, due to the age of your car, I'd suggest finding one that can be towed. It's fully depreciated by now, so you should not be taking much of a "hit" by going to a different car, coupled by the $2,000 upcharge for the lube pump, and needing a battery management solution. Is sinking that much money into a 17yr old car worth it?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.