Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #40
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It does raise a question though that I hadn't thought about before. If you travel in winter with temperatures below freezing, I assume that using the heater for passenger comfort keeps everything warm enough so nothing freezes. However, if you stayed with family or in a hotel for a few days in winter and left the RV vacant, is there anything that can be done short of running the heater? Suppose one drove an RV to winter resort and staying in a lodge for a week. Would you run out of propane (assuming you had propane) or battery for furnace? Would you winterize RV prior to trip and leave it that way while traveling? What do northerners typically do?
Got good at winterizing in rest areas... lol... I have it down to under 15 min... whether using antifreeze or blown air... When heading south - I de-winterize once beyond freezing temps - and when returning winterize before hitting the cold again.
If I am staying in the north - I leave the unit winterized for the trip (haven't done that often...)

Cheaper than running the furnace for a week... But - depending on how cold and duration - other kitchen items might freeze... bottles, cans, etc... The cost of living or visiting areas with "nature's air conditioning"...

I have to invert my thinking and consider things getting too hot as I move to a southern full time home... Not something I had to worry about in Michigan.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum