Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
brianh442

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I'm using scan gauge II, it has improved my gas mileage. When you can watch real time what your fuel useage is, it makes a huge difference. The other posters are correct, 55-60 mph is best. Where I have improved is on grades, when I see a grade coming up, I will gently increase my speed to 65-ish until I start up the grade. I will allow my speed to gradually bleed down to 45-50 mph, preventing the engine from down shifting.

Using this technique when I can, will keep my real time MPG average above 4.7 mpg while climbing hills. This combined with conservative driving strategy on the flats I can average 8-10 mpg real time. This seems to average out to approx 7-7.5 mpg per tank, that's while towing a dinghy as well. It is very easy to get that real time mpg down to 1.9 mpg on a grade or when shifting to a accelerate!!!

Also use the cruise control sparingly, only on long flat stretches, the cruise control will shift to maintain that set speed, gas economy will go in the tank! No pun intended!!

One last item is idling the engine for long periods, will impact your mpg. I've learned a lot about my engine and driving habits from the scan gauge and can recommend it to help with driving habits and fuel conservation. It paid for itself after about 6 months!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum