Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Custom toad switch.

In a similar project to my E450 dash panel, I made a custom toad switch.

My car requires the removal of 3 fuses to tow - one of which is hard to access.

So I decided to make a switch that I could disconnect the fuses.

Here is what it looks like:

And the side view:

I designed the front and back panel (the one the switch mounts to). The standoffs are standard electronic hardware items. Notice the switch handle is recessed.

It will be mounted in the lower dash area of the toad and connect to the fuse panel. So I will have to cut a hole in the dash. I will be using those "add a circuit" fuse panel adapters. I will need to modify it to work though.

These things:

It plugs into the fuse panel, then you plug the fuse into the top of the connector. By reworking the plug, I can make the fuse circuit switched.

I have not installed the switch yet. But I needed a toggle switch because the fuses are 10A, 10A, and 25A. This switch is a 4PST, with each pole rated for 15A. So this lets the switch carry the intended current with only needing a single switch.

I recessed the switch so that the handle is more or less recessed - which will prevent kicking it by mistake when I enter/exit the vehicle.

I had the front panel and the switch mounting panel made by Front Panel Express - the same outfit I used for the E450 dash panel. It was maybe $40 for the two panels. Not any more expensive than buying a tow switch from Blue Ox, Roadmaster, etc, but it is a heck of a lot better made if I do say so myself.

The panels you can make are only limited by your imagination... and luckily you can order qty: 1 of these panels. I have templates for these too.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.