Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
slborba

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #145
Contemplating - Heartland or Redwood?

Hi everyone. My name is Steve and I'm active duty USN. I've been active duty for 25 years and have 4 more years until retirement from active service. I retire 1 September 2017. My wife and I started out camping in 1992 in a tent and we've upgraded to "better/bigger tents and all the cool accessories", to a Class "C" motorhome. We LOVE the RV lifestyle and our boys were raised to love being outdoors.

Our boys are now 21/20 and they are doing "their own thing" and making us proud.

I am currently stationed in Japan onboard USS BLUE RIDGE (LCC 19) and currently negotiating orders for my next/last assignment. All I can say is.....thank goodness for shore duty! No more deployments and I'll be home every night with my DW!

So the plan: Once I receive my orders (to San Diego hopefully!!), I will special order my Silverado 3500HD, LTZ, DRW, 4X4, Crew Cab in "Mocha" from Vernon AutoGroup in Vernon, TX.

The hunt (and what man doesn't love a good "hunt"?): We thought we were dead-set on Heartland Big Country 3596RE - but we came across the REDWOOD. The Thor Redwood 36RE is nothing short of AMAZING! So...it's between the Big Country and the Redwood.

Question time:
1. Has anyone owned a Heartland? Love it? Hated it? ---Why?
2. Does anyone own a 36RE? Love it? Unsure? --- Why?

What does THOR offer to the consumer over Heartland? I hear Heartland is "THE" best RV manufacturer to deal with. True? I don't know. My Class "C" is a Fleetwood and I didn't have any problems in the last 6 years I've owned it.

I really need all the advice I can get on this - please. I will be ordering my Fifth Wheel "blind". Meaning, I will order it while I'm in Japan and have it ready for me to pick up once I arrive in the states. It will be used as our "residence" while I finish my active service and then be used for YEARS while we are FTing and "preserving what I defended".

Thank you very much in advance,
Steve

Steve Borba: U.S. Navy - Master Chief Petty Officer
DW: Maria Borba - Early Childhood Education

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.