Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 01:23 AM   #14
tenbear

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandT View Post
New Solenoid came today and I am going to install tomorrow. Does anyone know if it makes a difference how the two "smaller" wires are connected?

Unfortunately, I bought this on ebay and didn't notice it was not a Trombetta as the original was but a chinese knock off. One could argue that the ad was misleading but I didn't read the it thoroughly so I will take the blame. Lesson learned.

Assuming this is my problem and it works I may upgrade to a better one. Does anyone know if there is any danger to increasing the amp capability? I would only guess that it may not engage the solenoid because of not enough current. I was thinking of going from 150 amp continuous to 200 - 12 volts.

Also, the one puzzle I can't answer is if my house battery is say 50% will it make a solid connection between the chassis batt and the house batt and thereby drain the chassis batt????? Since mine is a cheaper RV I don't think I have the BIRD system.

Thanks all - Really appreciate the help!!
The two smaller wires energize the magnetic coil that closes the contacts. Either wire can go on either post, assuming that neither post is grounded.

Trombetta is only a brand name. It was probably selected by the builder more on price than any other reason. The Chinese knock off will probably perform just as well if not better. I replaced mine with another brand and it has lasted well over 10 years.

The Amp capacity only refers to the amount of current that the contacts are rated for. Increasing the current rating probably won't help since the maximum current passing thru the solenoid is probably much less than 150A. That of course depends on many things. The Alternator rating and your battery bank for example.

Your solenoid is only closed when your ignition switch is on (assuming your setup is like mine). If the engine is running when the ignition switch is on, the engine alternator will supply the current to the coach battery and the chassis battery will not be discharged, the alternator will keep it charged. If you turn the ignition on and don't run the engine, the alternator will not supply any current and the chassis or coach battery may get discharged.

Hope your problem is solved.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum