Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 03:33 AM   #20
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I saw a Utube video of a family filming their "camping" spot at Walmart, awnings out, grill/chairs setup, SORRY IMHO that's abusing the privilege. If you "overnight" you stop late & leave early, if "camping" you arrive early see the local sights & leave whenever & again IMHO you shouldn't be doing that at Wal-Mart/Cracker Barrel or anywhere that wasn't designed for that purpose. We've never stayed at WM/CB, rest area, no where we didn't pay something.
I know I'm gonna catch hell from this entire post so I just as well add this, if you can't afford to stop & pay for a site while traveling then maybe rving was the wrong choice. There are city/county parks that allow a couple free nights all across the country & books that list them. I know the argument that "I spend $$ in Wal-Mart", ,but it's not a "campground". Just my .02 cents.
As I've stated before, we have never parked overnight at Walmart or Cracker Barrel. Not that I see anything wrong with it provided owners/managers are OK with it.

Cost is not the issue. When driving long distances, like 1,100 + miles from Florida to Texas, I often drive until late -- like midnight. I pull into a rest area, get 5 or 6 hours of sleep, and keep going. A campground wouldn't be practical for us to arrive at midnight. It takes too long to get off the road, find the CG, self-register in the dark, etc... It would be a pain if all I need is sleep.

We normally pay high rates to get nice CGs, but that doesn't mean skipping a campground once in a while to save time isn't worth it. Partly that's the difference between people who camp and those who travel. We are more travelers than campers.

I know where you are coming from with the "cost" angle, but everything in life is not driven by cost.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum