Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #14
Huck

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger LX
State: Texas
THOR #6185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
Huck, welcome to the forum. I'm a little late to this discussion but here goes. I'm a retired Marine and tow a 2 1/2" lifted 2007 Rubicon on 35"s.

I connect directly to d-rings, which are bolted through the front bumper and into the frame. I had to replace my d-ring mount so the mount was compatible with both my tow bar and my desire to still use d-rings when I wheel. Did not want to add a baseplate underneath as that took away from the approach angle when wheeling.

I agree with those that recommend the Cool Tech wiring harness. Easy to install and have had no issues.

What kind of front bumper do you have? Or plan on getting? There are a couple of after market bumpers that are designed for towing.

Don't know what kind of tow bar or braking system you have but here is a good discussion on the Ready Brake system: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...help-5117.html

Edit: We started looking at Class Cs at first and ended up with our current RV as our "Entry Level". I blame it on my wife. LOL Good luck.
Thanks Greg! I have a Hanson Off-road stubby front bumper. So far I haven't gotten anything RV related yet since I'm still in Hawaii until August. I am thinking about getting the wiring harness, brake system, and maybe the tow bar attachments that attach to the D-ring mounts so I can get the jeep all set up. I figure none of that stuff will be too bad to ship to Hawaii, but if it is then I will wait until I get to the mainland. What kind of 35's do you have, and do they wear pretty fast when towing or do they do pretty good? I have a set of stock Rubi tires on my jeep right now because it's too expensive to get tires and wheels out here...plus I'm going to need to re-gear when I get 35's. I will try to attach a picture of my jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	3686  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum