Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Depends which Gemini you have. We have the 24TX which is on the Mercedes chassis, weighs in a little over 11,000 pounds, and the GVCW is something north of 15,000 pounds. That leaves roughly 4,000 pounds to load and to tow, so if in theory we only add 1,000 pounds in weight, including occupants, that leaves 3,000 pounds to tow. I have towed our HHR with our Gemini, and it does ok, but not great. I won't tow long distances or over mountains. The other 3 Gemini models are on Ford Transit chassis and have lower weight ratings. I believe the 5,000 pounds you refer to, is the hitch towing capacity, which really tells you little. Find your GVCW rating, and you can not exceed that weight with the weight of the loaded motorhome plus the weight of your tow vehicle. We previously had a 41 foot DP and I really never thought about weight, now I have to.

Does your Gemini actually weigh "a little over 11,000 pounds", or are you using the Mercedes Sprinter's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)?

Either way it affects your estimated capabilities. If it's actual motorhome weight that you got from a certified scale, then you have a serious problem because the Sprinter's GVWR is only 11,030 pounds, which means you can't load anything without going over the chassis' load capacity. You can't load 1,000 pounds if it already weighs over 11,000 pounds.

Given that your motorhome should never weigh over 11,030 pounds, and that your Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is over 15,000 pounds, then in theory you should be able to tow a car up to about 4,000 pounds -- assuming the hitch and/or chassis modifications don't derate the maximum towing capabilities.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum