Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Ah, OK, I get it now. My overhead light is wired to the instrument panel dimmer switch, and which has that traditional "always on" position when you rotate it one way.

One thing to check is make sure that switch did not inadvertently get turned so it is in the always on position.

JamieGeek - for your house batteries, buy one of these:

B&K Precision 316 Mini AC/DC Clamp Meter, 12.5mm Clamp Opening size: Clamp Meter Ma: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

There are other models available that might be a bit cheaper, but this is the one I have. What is unique about it is it's designed to read lower current (10A full scale (1mA resolution) than most clamp meters (typically 600A full scal with a 100mA resolution).

Either way, put the "clamp" on your battery terminal, and it will tell you how much juice is going through the cable. So with everything off, you can tell if you have any residual items taking current from the battery.

The clamp meters are not as accurate as a traditional ammeter (usually 2.5% accuracy vs. 0.5% for standard meters), but close enough for checking for parasitic loads.

And the B&K meter like I have is great as it can tell you down to 1mA. Since even a LED usually draws up to 20mA, even a single LED left on should be able to be detected.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum