Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
So is it primarily a difference in heads between a 2-valve and 3-valve engine?

I have not seen the torque curves between the two, but I remember a huge controversy in boats between EFI and carbureated engines, with the EFI giving you an additional 30Hp.

But in that case the 30hp was "funny power" as for some unknown reason (to me), you could run an EFI engine at a higher RPM than the carb engine. And that higher RPM meant 30 extra horsepower - but that horsepower was only available at full open throttle, whereas to be useful (at least in a boat), you want more torque at the lower end of the RPM range.

I am not saying the V10 is the same, but an additional valve sounds like it allows more fuel in (or is it exhaust out). Does this just allow higher RPM like a boat with "funny horsepower", or does it allow more lower RPM power?

Again, I am not an automotive engineer and I don't know... this is just all speculation by me.

We actually saw a full size Ford transit van yesterday. It is a really radical difference in look, and I am not sure how it would look on a Class C. Probably a lot better than the Dodge van though.

The one issue I see is the raked windshield probably means less of an overhang for the front (above cab) berth.

I suspect it would be cheaper for Ford to discontinue the E-series as that allows them to make just a single chassis. Aferall, they probably really don't sell that many commercial vans as it is (in terms of economy-of-scale).

Perhaps they are continuing the E-series cutaways for a short period of time so the aftermarket body builders can adjust.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.