Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
K6NCX

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
Replacing converter/charger and more

I have a 2016 Thor ACE 30.1. (As I've been typing this I realize that I'm dealing with pretty much the same set of issues with a communications vehicle I oversee for my county's Office of Emergency Services.)

For a whole lot of reasons I want AC power (clean sine wave) available boondocking without running generator, much greater stored power in batteries, and the ability to charge those batteries more rapidly (with generator or shore power.)

I do not intend to run air conditioner on inverter, but I do want to be able to run microwave or hair dryer as well as TVs and etc.

I know there are charger/inverter units which also handle the transfer of AC load to generator or shore power to inverter and back, and charge batteries at a higher rate. But I don't know if any of them will properly charge LiFePO4 batteries. Nor do I know if any of them will also manage charging from solar panels. Recommendations? Ideally I'd like to manage everything in one place, but two units would be better than three or four, or more!

And I'm not sure what to do about the chassis battery, which I would probably not replace with LiFePO4 battery. Since the updated house system would not optimally charge the chassis battery (and vice versa, the F53 chassis electrical system would not optimally charge the house battery,) I've thinking maybe I should just make them independent.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum