Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #20
Razor

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1 on E450
State: Tennessee
THOR #2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If you have Ed's manual (if you don't go download it) read the part on the BIRD and Trombetta or BCC depending on what system you have to connect/disconnect the coach and chassis batteries from each other. The system is designed so the generator/shore power charges the chassis battery as well as the coach batteries and the engine alternator charges the coach batteries as well as the chassis battery. Your system is apparently not working as it should. When I purchased my 2016 Axis, mine did not work either. The BIRD in my 2016 Axis was wired incorrectly at the factory. It was a simple fix, but difficult to diagnose. If you read Ed's manual, you will see that th BIRD is designed to open the Trombetta and connect the two battery systems. Apparently yours is not doing that. Could be a bad BIRD, bad Trombetta or miswiring. If you search for oneilkeys and BIRD or Trombetta you probably an find the posts outlining my trials and tribulations in the spring if 2016.
Thanks Oneilkeys. I do have Ed's excellent manual and it's the first place I turned yesterday when I discovered my problem. I thought I understood the system and remembered several folks posting last year about their problems. I didn't have much time last night for trying to solve my troubles so I got confused when I read in The Manual on page 48, "The chassis battery for the engine is not charged off the converter." but later in Appendix 11 a complete discussion of the BIRD etc states it correctly. I was in a rush.

Now I'm back from an out-of-town travel baseball day and have time to work on this. The first thing I did was update my copy of The Manual to the current version. (Thanks for the link JamieGeek! and super thanks to Ed for The Manual and updates!) I was using an outdated copy and the verbiage on page 48 has been clarified. So I do understand the system and mine is clearly not working correctly. So now to research troubleshooting steps. I think I'll start with the incorrect wiring. (Wishful thinking) I might not get too far however because it's now 37* outside with some snow. Brrrrr

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum