Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Driving your Axis/Vegas

I've seen a few posts talking about how the Thor's are a bit squirrelly going down the road. Having just put 1400 miles on our Axis (yesterday) I thought I'd add a thread here talking about my experiences with it (much of this topic will likely also apply to any E-Series based class C). Having said that....
On the E-Series chassis there is a "dead zone" in the steering: When going straight down the road the steering wheel has a good 1" (or more) of play before actually turning the front wheels (most likely from the couple of u-joints in the steering shaft). Thus you may find yourself turning the wheel back and forth attempting to keep the vehicle going straight down the road which may result in swaying back and forth. I try to minimize this by turning the wheel slowly and feeling for the resistance when it does start turning the front wheels easing into that--I've found that by using slow determined motions I can usually make the Axis track straight down the road and not bounce back and forth between the two lane markers...at least when it isn't windy.

The Axis sits up very high, especially the driver. When looking out the drivers side window you're looking above just about everything on the road. Thor must have raised up the seating position to be similar to a "normal" Class A (you are even higher than other E-Series based Class C RVs, when going next to Semi's we almost see eye to eye with those drivers). This enhances the rocking and the feeling of being pushed around a bit by the winds; something to get used to. This does mean that you can look far ahead and be able to see traffic situations forming well in advance (and thus not have to violently react). The raised seating also affects the drivers sightlines to the gauges in the dash--at least for me it seems I have to slouch about 6" to be able to fully read the fuel level and other items at the top of the dash (like they raised the seating position more than the dash).

Some drivers can tolerate this behavior better than others: I'm pretty relaxed driving the Axis, and in most instances can do so with a single light hand on the wheel. Others, on the other hand, may find driving it to be a bit stressful and only be able to go so far before having to stop.

Well that is about all I have for the moment, stay safe out there this holiday season if you're driving anywhere...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.