Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Fire Safety in MH

As I am doing the finishing touches on my MH for the upcoming summer trip, it is time to upgrade my fire safety measures. When we purchased the coach up north last fall I didn't have time to do everything before coming back south.

Others may or may not agree, but to me it is more dangerous as far as fire hazards go when sleeping in a MH compared to a 5th wheel or TT. Not only are we laying on top of propane tank(s), but now you can add 80 gallons of gasoline and more batteries/wiring to the mix.

Just like with my past fivers I start by adding a smoke detector in the outside storage. With my MH, since I have so much outside storage I am adding three, one toward the front and one in the rear in outside storage, then one more inside by the bedroom.

I am adding three additional fire extinguishers, one in the bedroom, one by the drivers seat, and one in a forward outside compartment. These are not real big ones and are general purpose (cheap). On my monthly "to-do" maintenance check list I have them noted for removing them from their holders, turning them upside down, shaking them, and re-securing them.

Of course all the batteries in my OEM detectors get changed and tested. The first time I did this I found that the previous owner had removed the battery from my forward smoke detector (smart move).

These additions will probably run me around $80.00, but I certainly will sleep better at night.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum