Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Ford also makes reference in another section, (twice) in the Driving Hints section it says not to tow for the first 1,000 miles. So this dealership accepts a vehicle they know has been used to tow a 3,000 pound car over 1,000 miles!

It doesn't matter if it's a 30 pound car or 3,000 pound car, they obviously put that statement in there for some reason and more than once it's referenced.

If I were to purchase that rig as a new unit and it developed transmission problems down the road, would Ford, Thor or the dealership stand by the product and repair it? Probably not, my concern is for the poor unsuspecting buyer that gets this unit having been abused by the transporter or dealership!

Since they are knowingly violating the owners manual does that void the warranty from Ford and Thor? I know Ford has very rigid and specific warranty rules as does Thor. So who would assume the liability if something went wrong?

Oh that's right, the buyer would never know the rig was used to tow a 3000 pound car for its break in period.

I guess I'm sensitive to this having had a lemon coach and what I went through was no fun. The consumer enters a contract to purchase a new coach thinking they are getting something that's not been abused or misused and the dealership/delivery company pulls a stunt like this!!
Brian, I'm not dismissing your point, and certainly don't like people not to follow proper instructions on principle, but I've seen this a lot. New units come to large dealers west of Houston and often have a toad behind them. It's an easy way for driver to get back home, or back to factory to pick up another unit. In this case it could have been a husband/wife team sharing one toad. I'd bet it's very common.

My comments were based on real-world conditions, knowing that the driver's style can make more of a difference on the engine and transmission than the toad can. Accelerating gradually with the toad will place less stress on drivetrain than if the driver without the toad steps on it hard. Granted, it would be best not to tow and also drive gently. Still, towing a small car behind a huge motorhome isn't something I'd personally worry about, and I worry about a lot of things.

Even if the transmission went out (and it won't) it can be fixed or replaced, and most likely under warranty. The tendency to sway in crosswinds is the larger issue that should concern buyers in my opinion. And the argument that "they all sway" or "I'll fix it later with Safe-T-Plus and Sumo springs" doesn't work for me.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.