Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
brianh442

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I guess I see your point where commercial owner/operators disregard the manufacturers guidance, they generally have deeper pockets not to mention fleet plans with a dealer.

However, the little guy like me or some other unsuspecting sap purchases this unit not knowing it was abused in this fashion is in for a rude awakening. Thor and Ford employ a lot of attorneys and they have deep pockets to fend off claims.

I suspect there is something to this if Ford makes mention of it at least twice, there may be other references to it as well. I've also noticed it written in other new vehicle manuals. If it were not a big deal, why would Ford legal buy off on that statement being in its owners manual in multiple sections?? Why does Thor make reference to it in the chassis section of my owners manual, "Make sure to follow the recommendations as outlined in the chassis owner's manual to ensure proper future performance and economy"

That too me is worrisome, "to ensure proper future performance and economy". If a problem were to arise and you take that rig to a Ford dealer, they look at it and say it was damaged due to improper towing, you would have no way of proving it was used to tow a 3,000 pound car for its first 1,000 miles, unless you have proof like a photo or an affidavit or declaration from the driver stating such, then you are out of luck!!

I think; if they are going to tow vehicles under these conditions there should be some notice given to the potential buyer, would they extend the warranty to 5 years/50,000 miles? Ford certainly would not, but would Thor? I doubt it!

Like I said, I think it's only fair the potential buyer be made aware of this and let them decide if they want to purchase that unit or pass and look for one that was not used in this fashion. I'm sure there are those on this board that would have no heartburn with it, but there are those of us that want nothing to do with it.

As a consumer, my reasonable assumption is that Thor and its authorized agents, (delivery driver or dealer) are following its own written recommendations prior to me taking delivery of a new coach. Heck, Thor may not even be aware this is going on! The driver could pull out off their property drive a mile down the road and hook up the car!

At any rate, if the end user/consumer was not made aware it was used contrary to manufacturer recommendations during delivery, then that's a problem!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum