Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Can you DIY.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
On the V10 ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Thanks for the replies if anyone has other suggestions please chime in. I am not going to like the high reving as I am leaving a Duramax and Allison with a 5th wheel that never went over about 18 to 20 on revs. As long as this high reving does not cause unnecessary wear on the engine I should be happy but how high is high reving is subjective. Hate to hear about cutting fascia but guess I will have to do what is necessary. Thank you both greatly. Anyone else? I would love to hear from you.
I have over 160,000 miles on my present V10, and like on most RVs, I expect the engine can outlast the rest of the vehicle. Vehicle age is a greater problem than engine wear in many RV applications. Higher RPMs does cause accelerated wear, but if not significant why worry about it?

In my experience the V10 may be willing to REV to make more power, but it sounds like it doesn't like it at all. Compared to newer engines it's very loud at higher RPMs. The V10 design required a lot of compromises. Its stroke is very long compared to bore size, which helps with low end torque but doesn't help with higher RPMs. It also requires a balance shaft to help smooth vibration a bit, but remains far from ideal. At higher RPMs these out-of-balance forces magnify.

On the bright side the engine makes 260 HP at 3250 RPMs, so unless you are in a hurry, there is no need to take it to 4250 RPMs just to get the maximum 305 HP. And even if you can REV it to 5000 RPMs, what would be the point if you can get the power at lower RPMs?

Your loaded-down motorhome and Jeep could weigh over 18,000 pounds combined, so it probably won't feel fast (at least by my standards). I would just plan on using the 6-speed transmission wisely to limit engine in the 3,000 to 3,500 RPM range as much as practical, and resist the urge to floor it just to climb or accelerate a little faster.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.