Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
axis earl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
We took delivery of our 2016 Vegas on March 27, with 11,400 miles on it. We made a quick, one night trip the following weekend, just to check out as many things as we could and didn't really have any issues. Two weeks later we took a two night trip and did come up with a few, very minor issues.

Planning to leave Florida and head back to our summer home in Maine on April 24th, I took the Vegas, into a local Thor dealer on the 19th, and had them do an annual service routine on the furnace, air conditioner, and refrigerator as well as change the oil and filter and check all of the fluids. I know that these things should have been done by Camping World before they sold us the Vegas, but I've heard so much about how CW service is, I figured I was better off spending the money and making sure. (And I got a very good deal from CW, so I figured I could afford it.)

We left on the 24th, with 12,152 miles on the odometer. Headed up I-75 to visit some friends south and west of Atlanta, then to a campground in northern GA and on to another park in Ocean Isle, NC for the weekend.

On Monday, May 1st we headed for the Outer Banks and spent three days exploring that area. We dry camped one night at the Cape Hatteras Light House Park Service Campground, which the first time we've dry camped. That worked well until we got up the next morning and I went to plug in the coffee maker and realized I had no 110V and at 5:30 in the morning people weren't going to be happy if I started up the genny. Then it was breakfast without any toast. But I got over it.

We're now at a campground in Ivor, VA. We've put just over 1600 miles on the Vegas and haven't really encountered any problems. All systems are working as expected and at this point I think we've managed to exercise everything.

Tomorrow (5/5) we'll be hitting the road for the final leg of our trip to Maine. We've got about 12 hours of driving time left to go and we're planning on doing that in 2 six hour days.

A couple of observations:

When we bought this Vegas (from Camping World in FT. Myers, FL) no mention was made of it having a Safe-T-Plus or any other steering assist device. But based on 2000 miles of driving over a 5 week period, I have to assume that one has been installed (I know I could crawl under there and find out but I haven't). The Vegas doesn't handle as well as my Lincoln MKZ but it does handle better than any other motorhome I've ever driven. It really is a pleasure to roll down the highway at 65 or 70, steering one handed, even when passing or being passed by a semi.

The improvements in the Triton V-10 are remarkable. We briefly owned a 2003 Tioga, on the same F450 chassis and Triton engine and this Vegas does NOT feel like it's built on that same platform. It's more like comparing a dump truck to a Thunderbird. I had some apprehensions buying the Vegas, because of all of the talk I've heard about Thor's bad QC, but at this point I'm a really happy camper.

The size of the Vegas is just about perfect for our needs. We travel with a dachshund and two cats and more space would be nice. But the 25.2 floor plan serves our needs very nicely. And another foot or two of space would be great but what I think that would do to the maneuverability of the rig isn't worth giving up what we've got.

I hope I've found a solution for my dry camping issues. I've ordered a Lithion/Ion battery system called the "Mirror Battery/Inverter" from www.ecoflow.com. It's the size of a 12 pack of beer, weights 11 pounds and will power a residential fridge for 10 hours. It has two 110V outlets as well as a number of USB ports. It comes with a variety of charging cables, including a 12V cigarette lighter plug and I've ordered it with a 50W solar charger panel. I figure I'll plug my 15A adapter into it and be in business.
Congratulations on your new purchase. We have had our 24.1 for almost 18 months now. We have done our share of dry camping and finally decided to jettison our electric drip coffee maker for a real 8 cup percolator coffee pot. It also give us a less cluttered counter since it is small to begin with. I also pour the finished perked coffee into a thermos so that it stays hot. Little things you figure out along the way.... Enjoy.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.