Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Dinghy towing with an Axis/Vegas

I know that there are just a few of us Vegas/Axis owners on here but I figured I'd ask: Has anyone done any towing with it at all? Especially towing a "dinghy"/toad?
We've been thinking about how to bring along a 2nd vehicle since we purchased our Axis last year. The original plan was to get an aluminum car trailer (since one of our vehicles cannot be towed with any wheels touching the ground) but that proved to be prohibitively expensive. The result was that for last years trips we simply rented a car at the destination.
Weight was also an issue as our Axis only has a 5000 lb hitch (Vegas/Axis models built after 10/1/2014 have an 8000 lb hitch lucky dogs!) and the trailer + car would have been very close to 5000 lbs.
Fast forward to this year and the new plan is to pick up a dolly. Specifically the Acme one:
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
That one has a lot of people praising it on irv2 and is almost 1/10th the cost of a trailer.
Just curious if anyone has pulled anything with their Vegas/Axis? If you did, did you have any issues with the plug? We had the dealer put a brake controller in ours and they found that the trailer plug was all mis-wired--I picked up a plug tester afterwards to make sure it got fixed correctly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum