Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Tom N3EQF

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
I did it! Replaced the stock door window with the frosted inner glass with the new one with see-through tinted glass and the pull down shade (AP Products, Manufacturer Part No : 015-201512). Fantastic! That is... once you finish the installation.

This is just what I was looking for, and it turned out beautiful. But it was one heck of a frustrating process to get there. First off, the original window was smaller so I had to cut the opening in the door larger. I thought that would be a big deal but it really wasn't bad at all. Masked off the area with tape, used the template that comes with the new window, and used a jig saw to cut the opening. Only thing about that is that you end up with shredded foam insulation from the door everywhere, by the way.

The real PITA is getting the outside window frame, window pane, retractable shade, and inner window frame screwed together in the door. There are no instructions supplied, which in hindsight I believe is because the manufacturer knows it's going to be a real pain no matter what process you use!!! The shade is not fastened to the frame at all, as it is held in place only when the inner and outer pieces get screwed together. So you are left holding the glass and the shade mechanism in place while screwing it together. DO NOT TRY THIS ALONE!!! My helper and I finally decided to fasten the upper and lower mechanisms onto the inner frame using black electrical tape along the entire width of the frame to hold it in place. Once installed, you can't see it.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. Love it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	5048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	5049  

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	5050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	5051  

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	5052  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum