Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Rental Car vs Toad

Over the long haul I am confident that it is much cheaper and convenient to tow a car while traveling rather than renting. Coming from full timing in a fiver to part timing in a MH we are still trying to decide on getting something to tow 4 down, regular tow dolly, or extended tow dolly to haul both car and Harley.

Since we really haven't decided, this years trip (4 months/7,000+ miles) we are towing a 365 pound aluminum trailer with the Harley on it, for a total towing weight of around 1,600 pounds.

At the rate we are renting a car, we will spend about $800 total in 4 months (10 days per month @ $20 per day for 4 months).

At first I was thinking we had to make a decision before next year because it just isn't cost effective to rent and not tow. But the cost difference may be closer than I thought. If by towing a 4,000 pound car I would get even 1mpg less in fuel economy than my fuel expenses for the trip will be over $400 higher.

Anyone else out there not pulling a toad and regularly renting cars when needed?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.