Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We did that for our first year with the Axis: Rented instead of towing.

The weight difference is a little bit higher for our Axis (as the Axis doesn't weigh as much as your MH). This does mean that more of the V-10's power is "available" for the toad and our mpg difference will probably be less--I don't think pulling a toad even registered a difference for mpg for us. In addition: Since the MH is a big brick in front of the toad there really is no air-resistance cost there (I would bet with the toad sitting so close it probably rides in a slight vacuum back there).

You don't want to discount the initial cost either: A dolly setup will cost about 1/2 as much as a four down setup (and changing cars is a non-zero cost for 4-down, vs "free" for dolly towing--provided the car can be dolly towed). You can probably also add in some "hassle" cost here as for a dolly the "hassle" cost will be higher simply because hitching up is a more involved than 4-down.

For me I didn't mind renting but its not "your car" (kind of like bringing the motorhome vs staying in a hotel--a hotel isn't "your house").

Granted: You can take all this with a grain of salt as I'm still only taking a week or two vacations being a working stiff.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.