Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Towing
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #14
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Laws vary by state - you not only need to meet the requirements of the state you are registered in - but any state you will travel through...

As Laco said - I wouldn't tow without a braking system.

Many threads here discuss the options - choice of portable unit or permanent install is first consideration.
Roadmaster, Blue Ox and others are available.
Just to qualify the statement about meeting the requirements of not only the state you are registered in but the state you are traveling in. Some laws apply and are enforceable and some are not. Generally speaking all safety related laws of the state you are visiting are enforceable, such as wearing a seat belt, not texting while driving, having brake lights, etc....

But other laws, like tinted windows are not enforceable. Then there are Federal commercial regs, which never apply to RVs unless you are doing business out of your unit.

If it where me for any trailer weighing 2,000 pounds to maybe just under 3,000 and being pulled by a larger MH, I would have at least a cheap surge brake system. 3,000 and over I would make sure I had electric brakes. Under 2,000 I think you would be hard pressed to find any state requiring it or very many manufactured with brakes.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum