Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
tinman01

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Adding additional batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I'm going to upgrade my auxiliary battery system and add 2 more, giving me a total of 4. Can I expect to have to order some sort of additional wiring? If so, what? Is there any followup with regard to any systems running off this battery upgrade?
Lastly, what's the best battery to work with the factory batteries, for this upgrade?
Hi, I just added two additional batteries to my Challenger. I added two Trojan T105 6 volt 225 amp hour rating. My existing coach batteries are Deka 6 volt 75 amp hour. Both are Flooded cell batteries.
I didn't have room in my battery compartment for them so I used the next storage bin back and put in a sliding tray to make it easier to service and sealed that part of the pass threw compartment and vented to the outside. I made dividers on the tray to hold a total of 6 batteries, for now I only put in two but will be adding 4 more as the budget allows.

If you go to a place like batteries plus they can make you the cables you will need Just lay out your batteries and measure between posts (I used 1 gage, but the bigger the better) you will need one to go positive to negative to make 2 - 6 volt batteries into one 12 volt, then you will hook the "new 12 volt" battery Positive to Positive and Neg to Neg of your existing coach batteries this keeps them 12 volt and increases the amp hours. Keep in mind you should not discharge them below 50% (it greatly decreases the overall life of the battery) so a 225 amp hour battery only has about 110 usable amp hours.

As long as you match the type of batteries you should be ok (Flooded to Flooded). 6 Volt batteries deep cycle are the best to use and will last longer than the 12 volt. Keep in mind that you should balance out the batteries to optimize them.

I hope this helps
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4776.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	5222  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum