Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 2015 Thor ACE
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
hames57

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #7797
Wow, you are the poster child for why

Anyone who buys a motor home needs to have a basic set of mechanical and electrical skills. I simply could not afford a motor home if I had to rely on MH dealers and shops. First their rates are ridiculously high. Second, they cant get you in and out in a decent time. Third, their work is most often second rate. I just replaced my ACE in-dash air blower for 60 dollars rather than the 600+quoted by a shop that couldn't get to the job for a month. I think the reality is, in your case that you are experiencing much of what most buyers of new motor homes and extended warranty experience. A lot of problems. The one year warranty on the coach is ridiculous as most people are only using the thing a few times a year. Extended warranty have so much fine print that along with co-pays you will never get your money out and will still be out of pocket. It is a sad reality in the custom toy business. Boats are the same thing. MH's and cruiser boats are custom built and no single one is the same as the last one. Quality control is always poor. Thor does a reasonably good job, but without skills, be prepared to have a hard go as a motor home owner. All of the things you mentioned are pretty trivial fixes for someone with simple electrical and mechanical skills. Hotel rooms are probably your most economical choice. Trailers and fifth wheels with standard trucks towing them are also a pretty good choice as there are many more places to work on standard trucks and who can and will work on trailers and fifth wheels but not MH's. Also, if you belong to a local RV club, there are often folks with a great deal of experience who can help with trailer and fifth wheel RV's. Not so much with MH's.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum