Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
Here is a drawing. You will be creating 2 12v battery banks and connecting them.
One change I would suggest to the drawing - especially if you are separating the batteries by any distance (between bays, etc) - the positive to the RV should come off the first battery (or set of 2 6v) in the parallel arrangement - and the negative to the RV should come off the last... In gentilebrian's drawing - I would move the negative/ground down to the other pair.
Electricity will always take the path of least resistance - wired as drawn it will favor drawing from the first battery (or pair) resulting in that battery getting driven harder in both discharge and charge... Balance and equalization is good for improving the life of the overall bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Anyone going for AGM batteries, when upgrading?
I use golf cart/wheel chair AGM batteries for another purpose - and would certainly consider when it comes time to replace my current batteries... Be sure your converter can handle AGM - as they do use a different setting on typical multi-chemistry chargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
... You don't really want to mix old batteries with new.
Agree - adding good to bad - new to old - or mismatching capacities - will all lead to shortened life of the overall bank.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.