Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
If you do a search on this forum and others you will find tons of information on improving the ride/driving experience on these gas MHs. I know when we took off in ours and did the first 1,300+ run we were not happy....OMG...a large box truck could almost push us onto the shoulder let alone a big rig.

I began by doing the CHF (cheap handling fix). Then I went to a big truck frame repair shop and had front end aligned. Made some psi adjustments to my tires and took off for a short camping trip. Coach handled maybe 30% better.

Set out on current summer travels and had Safe T Plus installed. This helped re-center my steering but really only improved handling about another 10-20% IMHO. So after spending about $800 the coach was handling about 50% better.

About a week ago I had the Sumo springs put on front and rear. Not a cheap improvement because labor and material totalled almost $1,900. I have only driven it about 20 miles with Sumos on but it certainly took most of the chassis sway out, so I am hopeful this will make it handle close to 80% better than when I started.

The RV shop that installed my Sumos had never done the install nor even heard of them. They do a lot of air bag installs on gas motorhomes and claimed for what I was spending they could have installed those front and rear.

We have several thousand miles to go this summer before heading back home. If these modifications don't do the trick for me then I guess I may try some type of trac bar on the rear.

It is one thing to do a 25 mile test drive, but when you actually load one of these wallowing pigs up and start running down the road is when you find out how badly they handle. If I had realized all of that I would have looked at Super Class C diesels more seriously.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum