Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
.....cut.... Is this normal.?
I've found the doghouse in all Ford Class Cs I've driven get a little warm, but a lot more so when driving up long steep hills in warm weather. The engine can generate 3 or 4 times more power than when cruising on flats, which means a lot more heat under the hood area. Even if coolant temperature remains in spec, there is much more heat coming from engine and radiator.

The only time this was an issue for us was climbing out of Death Valley which required a lot of power/throttle, and speed was relatively slow (less air circulation). At one point my wife complained the doghouse felt uncomfortably hot, so I pulled over and let the engine idle for a few minutes to cool off, then proceeded a little slower to cut back on power.

If you remove the doghouse, you'll find there isn't a lot of room behind the engine for air circulation to take away added heat. Adding insulation may be a good thing, but I wouldn't go crazy adding so much that you inadvertently create a cooling problem.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum