Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
axis earl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
This will be our first RV. We've just about decided on a Thor Vegas (debating 25.2 vs 25.3), but also one Forest River might be an option, but hope to decide in the next week or so. I plan to order one from a local dealer, and want a 2018, so it looks like I wouldn't get it until mid to late September.

We will be using it mostly for weekend/long weekend trips at state parks, places like Branson and stuff. Since my job doesn't allow me much time off, we are hoping to do short mini-vacations (long weekends), since week plus vacations are so few and far between (sometimes years).

So, what I don't know is if it's a mistake to take delivery in late September with cold weather only a month or two away. I'm not sure how much past October we can go in Arkansas without winterizing, and am I then just blowing off 5 months of warranty waiting for spring to start using regularly?

Or, is Arkansas, or even Branson, MO, mild enough to use much of the winter (I imagine it would take multiple winterize/dewinterize cycles through the winter)?

Or, do I look at the time before cold weather as the time to do shake downs and then deal with the dealer for fixing likely new RV issues over the winter months.

As indicated, we aren't retired, hence the reason it will only be weekend/long weekend trips with the occasional week long trip thrown in now and again.

I've also done a bunch of searching on here, and I can't get a good feel for how well the Vegas would handle Arkansas type winters. Are the water lines in heated spaces, for instance? Do the holding tanks have forced air blowing on them, or completely rely on the heater pads?
Personally speaking, I haven't read too many positive comments from those that have ordered what they want. Seems like there are so many variables in production and delivery that you won't have a clue when you will really get the call that your coach is ready for you to pick up. Again, my personal opinion here, is that if you really want to hit the road, don't wait. Let the dealership find one you like and hit the road as soon as you can. You might even get a better deal on a 2017. Good luck.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum