Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #17
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I think the stigma here is "10". With 10 cylinders the V-10 is perceived as a "huge" engine and thus along with that perception comes the gas guzzler idea. You could have a 6.8L V-8 and I don't think it would get the same treatment.

Heck GM had an 8.1L V-8 and I don't think it had the same perception as Ford's V-10 does.
Completely agree. If I recall correctly, a long time ago Motorhome Magazine did a comparison of similar gasoline motorhomes with GM V8 versus Ford V10 and they found, as expected, both had similar performance in many ways.

Today engines are making 2 or 3 times more power than they did when I was in school, but the brake specific fuel consumption, while it's improved too, hasn't changed nearly as much. Lower emissions is what's changed most, and what seems to be killing the Ford V10.

By the way Jamie, Ford recently released power and torque figures for F-150 gasoline engines for 2018 model year, and it's amazing how much power they are getting considering they are tuned for pickup service. Even the standard 3.3-L V6 makes tons more power than my old Mustang's V8. And the F-150's 5.0L V8 makes more power than any V10, and is now rated at 400 lb-ft of torque.

With these kinds of results, the upcoming truck V8 should achieve 500 lb-ft easily (before HD truck derating).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.