Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I've been meaning to get a compressor for things around the house anyway. Would something like this work:

https://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-BTFP...itch+BTFP02012

There are some that are smaller and quite a bit more expensive, but I think that would be small enough to stow if in a bay if I needed to blow them out while on the road. I recall reading somewhere that for tires a relatively high PSI was recommended. Is 150 PSI enough for the tires.
More than enough... Something that will do 90 PSI is enough for most RV's - don't have an Axis/Vegas, but assume the max tire presure is in the low 80's...
A 6 gallon compressor may be a bit large for 'on the road'.. I carry a 2 gallon 'hot dog' compressor underneath (bolted into battery/hydraulics compartment).

Quote:
I've glanced through the improved manual (sorry, drawing a blank on the name of the poster that put it together), but once used to doing it, how long would you say it takes to blow out the lines in a Vegas?
Ed Felker is the compiler of the manual...
Should be about a 5-10 minute job once you do it a time or two... Be sure to set the regulator in the 40-50psi range as max - the plumbing won't appreciate over 100...

Buy a plug for the city water connection that provides the quick disconnect https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-B.../dp/B002XL2IEA (rather than a Schrader valve) - so you can just connect the hose - then go around the RV opening faucets... Be sure to do all... including outside shower... Drain and bypass the hot water heater to save time...

Remember - you still need antifreeze on the drain side... Enough to get down into those exposed drain pipes exiting from the tank - and to fill all traps.

Quote:
Also, if let's say I'm leaving Arkansas and it's cold (maybe in the teens or low 20s) and heading to maybe Florida or the gulf coast, can I warm up the coach, fill up fresh water and turn on the tank heaters and drive away and be good. Or, do I need leave it drained until I get to warmer climates and then fill up the water?
Leaving Michigan in winter in past - and not knowing how many days I might be below freezing - I always dewinterized on the road... VERY easy - especially if you just blow out the lines for winterizing...

Returning to Michigan with freezing temps - I blow out lines a few states south... Likely could do it when I get home - but one more thing to forget in the midst of unpacking...

From Arkansas - you will likely be out of freezing temps much quicker - I wouldn't be concerned with dewinterizing before leaving.

Quote:
I know it was said the water lines are inside the heated space, but what about the outside shower? I know I read (not sure if it was on a Vegas) about someone who put an internal cutoff on the outside shower so that even if they prime the rest of the system, they can keep water out of the outside shower.
Certainly can add additional cutoff valves - simple to do. but once you winterize a time or two - I think you'll find it simple enough to just blow out the lines when needed.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum