Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
BSexton

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
I can provide my opinions on this. I went from an Itasca Reyo (Sprinter based class A) to the Axis (E450 based class A). From what I know, the E350 and E450 use the same engine and transmission, the frame is what is different. (And, I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will pipe up!)

I was also concerned about power when I made the transition. For a while, I was towing a 4 door Jeep with the Reyo. We have 2 houses, one in Atlanta and one in Utah, that we migrate back and forth between with the RV. Before I decided to leave the Jeep in Utah, we towed it back and forth. The Reyo towed the Jeep just fine and that was up and over the Rockies on I70 west of Denver.

Now that I've driven the Axis through that same route, I have a much more informed opinion on the differences. As JamieGeek pointed out, the Sprinter didn't rev nearly as high and the E450. It can get kind of loud in the Axis when climbing a 7% grade. But, I do think I had more power available in the Axis. I was able on a few occasions to actually pick up a little speed in the Axis on one of these grades, and I don't think I was ever able to do that with the Sprinter.

The Axis will downshift on a drop of a hat when going up pretty much any kind of hill. Sometimes, it takes 2 gears before it can keep up the speed I set on the cruise control. When it does that, the engine does rev up considerably.

It's funny that JamieGeek mentions that the diesel should be faster from a dead stop. I think the Axis feels faster from a dead stop. But that is just my feeling, not like I measured and tested anything.

The gas mileage is much different. On the last trip with the Reyo (I had to get some engine work done before the last trip which affected mileage), I got about 14 MPG. The round trip out to Utah in the Axis was 10 MPG (10.5 on the way out and 9.5 on the way back).

I hope this helps. And, if you got any specific questions, just let me know.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.