Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
TyCreek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Additional comments ...
- It is very possible to have bad or out of spec bushings on new or used rigs
- A weak spring or sag can cause poor handling especially if you're bouncing off a bump stop as you travel down the road
- A bad/weak shock can cause handling issues. Heavier sway bars can mask/help this condition "somewhat". Poor dampening on one side causes sway (side to side rocking). Pretty easy to feel/identify when going over a speed bump square on and it feels like you hit it at an angle. There should be minimal bounce or movement after the bump if both shocks are performing properly for the weight carried.
- Improper lash/play in the steering gearbox
- I suggest removing the steering stabilizer to help pinpoint an underlying issue. Put it back on for the driver's comfort after the chassis handles appropriatly.

I think it was mentioned ... get your weight numbers and adjust stored weight as best you can to compensate for side to side and front to back weight values. Sometimes with the longish rear overhang rigs, the front ends up being off-loaded and can cause erratic handling. I've met folks that have even added ballast weights to the front. One guy with a long tail short rig carried a motorcycle on a front mount because he said it made the rig handle better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
The Axis/Vegas have tiny anti-sway bars. I added RoadMaster Anti-sway bars and have no issues with towing.
Our Axis/Vegas models have wheelbase to length ratio values near the other end of the spectrum. So the nature of the beast, you might say, is quite different. OP's mention of sway bars and steering stabilizer ... leads me to assume those were added.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.