Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
If this is your first motorhome, you might want to consider used. Even a two year old coach can be had for many thousands less... depending on your negotiation skills.

There is a huge markup on RVs. If you are not getting at least 25% off MSRP, it's not even a moderate deal.

One advantage for first timers buying used is if you find you made the wrong decision - from an incompatible (to your lifestyle) floorplan, to the eventual quality you find, you can probably unload a used one a lot easier. If you have a loan on it, you'd be more likely in the bucket trying to unload a new one than a used one.

Thing is, RVs, boats, etc. tend to depreciate as much as 20~30% in the first two years. I remember the depreciation rule of thumb for boats was 30% in the first two years, and 5% per year thereafter. So far, in my experience, it seems to hold for RVs as well.

I bought my coach in 2013; it was a 2011 with 5,800 miles on it, with absolutely no wear on it. I got it for 30% less than a new one (based on the best prices at RV shows).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum