Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #41
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
.....cut.....

Anyway, too bad they don't make an RV unit smaller, say in the 5,000 btu to 8,000 btu range. I'll bet just a little one like that as the secondary unit would be more than enough to take care of the issue and would keep the power loading way down....simplifying a lot of this.

It's been too many years since I used to work on little window units so I had to look up an example.... found an 8,000 btu window unit rated at 6.2A....just for a point of reference.
Thor uses 5,000 BTU/hr window-type A/Cs in rear of Class C toy haulers along with a 13,500 in front living area. Keep in mind the rear garage can also be used for sleeping, and I'm sure a 5,000 A/C is plenty to keep garage cold at night. They list this combination of 13,500 plus 5,000 A/Cs with 30-Amp service and 4,000 watt generator. Unfortunately the 5,000 looks like cheap brand which probably means it's not high efficiency.

For comparison, there are slightly-higher-cost brands of 5,000 BTU/hr A/Cs that have EER of 12.2 that only pull 410 watts, or under 4 Amps.

Also, Jayco uses 2 X 11,000 Power Savers (total 22,000 BTU/hr) on some models and run off 30 Amps and 4,000-watt generator. They do include power management though. Still, at +/- 9.5 Amps each (standard condition) they should run most of the time unless a third high load like microwave was started for a few minutes. Other than microwave, hair dryer, or coffee maker, I can't think of too many items that would force shutting one of the two A/Cs off for a few minutes -- likely the bedroom A/C.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum