Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
RacerJohn

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #7460
Muggs,

I'm in the same "boat", or is that an RV?

I also have an open race car trailer that tows just fine. (I endurance race in the ChumpCar and American Endurance Racing series).

After scaling the RV and trailer at CAT scales, the individual axle and combined weights are both within the rated specifications, but the tongue weight was a bit high. I've also moved the car position to adjust the tongue weight within specifications.

I have the early 2015 24.1 Axis that has the 5000 lb rated hitch (also with a 500 lb tongue weight limit). I was pursuing whether it was possible to upgrade to the higher rated hitch. My questions to Thor was: (a) it possible to upgrade the newer hitch? and (b) what was the new tongue weight specification?

Thor has been useless in answering those simple questions -- both via email (totally ignored/no response) and phone support (couldn't/wouldn't provide a straight answer).

FYI ----> NOTE ABOUT REAR EXTENSION RAILS <-----
I crawled under my (used) RV and carefully examined the hitch support.

I found that the rear extension rails had 5 (of 6) holes not containing bolts where the extension overlaps the main chassis rails. Instead there were six 1" welds in other slots in the extension rails. The Thor drawing specifies six bolts; perhaps the welds are a design change not reflected in the drawing. However, the engineer in me did not trust the welds so I added five 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Thor support also said "yea, we agree that adding those bolts might be a good idea".

Thanks everyone.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum