Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsnook View Post
FW28z,

I went to an RV store today to purchase the replacement plastic plugs. I was told that Atwood water heaters already have an anode, which should be replaced yearly, and was shown one. They also sell brass plugs (with a drain valve in the center) and stated their use is fine as the heater has an anode. I didn't get a chance to look at my heater today but was told I would see the hex head once I remove the cover. The anode appears to be about 6-8 inches long according to what they showed me. What do you think?
My 2015 Challenger has no anode rod and I verified that with the dealer during the PDI when he showed me where they stored the plastic plug after winterizing the unit. When I look at the configuration of the water heater I can not see any way to install an anode if I wanted to because of the location and angle of the drain plug hole. Also, the operators manual for my Attwood 6 gal water heater makes no mention of an anode rod.

One recommendation I will make is to always use a 6 point socket or box end wrench when removing or installing the plug. the use of a 12 point could round the end of the plug if that wrench or socket is worn or if it is not positioned correctly (angled on the plug end) for removal and/or reinstallation.

One additional point is that on my prior coach I had a Suburban hot water heater and it did have an anode rod. In that case, and I'm not sure about all cases, the anode rod and drain plug were one in the same. You had to remove the anode to drain the hot water heater. The general rule of thumb, and recommended in the that Suburban owners manual, was to replace the anode rod after draining the tank for winterization.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.