Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Went over to the coach today and got to the bottom of the problem. Although I've never touched the emergency switch (at least not intentionally until today), it looks like the house and chassis batteries have been paralleled for who knows how long.

First thing I did was pull the negative cable off the batteries with the coach ceiling lights on - they stayed on. (engine/generator off, no shore power)

Second step was to press the Emergency switch - I got a sound that sounded more like an electric actuator than a solenoid, but the ceiling lights went out.

Reconnected the battery negative and the ceiling lights came on.

I also noticed that the studs of my disconnect switch looked uncomfortably close to the metal battery compartment sidewall. I cut a square of some 1/16" rubber sheet I had laying around and put it between the battery compartment wall and the switch. So no longer a chance of shorting the switch by the battery compartment wall.

With the disconnect switch re-intalled in the negative path, it appears that everything now works. It bothers me a bit that the emergency switch can be activated without knowing it. From what I can tell its not a two position switch - its a set/reset button. Push it once, the batteries are paralleled. Push it again, and they are separated. All with no indication of the current state.

This isn't what I could call a quality mammal/machine interface. Its plenty easy to just hit the switch accidentally, which is what may have happened while leaning across the dash to get the windshield curtains open and closed.In my past life, I've run engineers off of projects for coming up with these kinds of designs.

I'm going to call Thor this week and see what they say about this behavior and see if I can get a drawing of the DC supply system

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum