Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Going across country this summer and up into Canada we did a "few" grades. When I start my engine the tow/haul button gets activated. There were a few times when we were on perfectly flat ground for hours and hours that I would take it out.

As far as not letting a V-10 scream beyond 3,500 rpms. I suppose with a tiny motorhome and no load on certain grades that would be possible. With my Challenger only towing a 1600 pound load it is not possible. If climbing a 5 or 6% grade and the engine was forced to stay at 3,500 rpms or lower it would eventually start dropping rpms and speed and you would end up sitting in the driving lane as a parked vehicle!

If your V-10 needs to jump down into 3rd gear while going up a steep grade and the rpms are in the mid to high 4000 range so be it. Being in a "big hurry" has nothing to do with it. The reality is you have to try to maintain a speed of 40mph plus if possible to get up that grade. It really is no more complicated than that. You will have cars coming up behind you talking on their cell phones, putting on make-up, and who knows what else and they are traveling at 80 plus. Please do not lug your RV down and be in that driving lane going 25mph!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.