Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
snickwit

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
THOR #7257
Bad bushings (steering rod?) and sloppy steering issues

Hello,

We recently purchased used 2016 ACE 29.4 which only had 3800 miles from previous owner. During the preinspection, the technician pointed out we would need to get a bushing fixed/replaced but it was not urgent. We've taken 3 trips and noticed the RV seems to have sloppy steering. The steering wheel when straight is actually turned slightly to the left side. The bushing that is falling apart appears to be part of steering rod? I thought it was on the sway bar but I was wrong. Is this something we can easily fix or should I take it in to get repaired? Does it look like the rod is broken? I'm pretty much a do-it selfer. Anyone encounter this issue considering how low miles is on the RV? I've attached pics too.

We also suspect we need to get alignment work done which might help fix the issues. We have not yet done the CHF fix yet but plan to do it soon. As for freeplay in the steering wheel, does anyone know how much it should have? When all wheels are on the ground, I can rotate it 90 degrees (1/4th) and steering wheel easily moves back. It seems it should be more snug? (My car barely moves at all with any freeplay so not sure if MH are different? My car barely moves 2 fingers distance.

Thanks much,
Shelley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BadbushingDriversSide.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	6736   Click image for larger version

Name:	BadBushingDriversSideBottom.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	6737  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BadBushingDriversSideBottom2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	6738  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.