Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
MTN RV

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #9164
Problem with the factory microwave mounting and overall build quality!

On our maiden Voyage home from taking delivery of our brand new Chateau 23U
we experienced a very loud rattle noise while driving the rig home.
Upon quick glance I could see that the mounting facia that attaches the microwave to the cabinet face had two small cracks in it.
I called to make appointment to have this repaired under warranty and was told there is a three month wait till first appointment is available. I made the appointment because I need the cracked piece replaced however upon further investigation I found that most of the noise was from behind the microwave.
I have 14 hour trip planned before the scheduled repair date and cannot live with that very loud noise. So I pulled the microwave myself and became very concerned with the overall quality that this coach was built.
The microwave was not installed correctly, the four legs were supposed to be set on the 1x2 wood boards stapled to the bottom of the cabinet however 1 of the 4 slats was missing and the ones that were there did not line up under the legs causing the entire weight of the microwave to be supported by the front facia.
I added another 1x2 slat and relocated the other 3 so the lined up with legs and then had to add 1/2" thick felt pads to bottom of legs to make it level with no tension on front mounting facia.
The other thing I saw when I pulled the microwave out was a total mess of wiring with wires under the area where the legs of the microwave would sit.
I zip tied the mess into something cleaner. Also all the screws mounting the cabinets in place were way too long and couldn't be screwed in all the way so they all had about 3/4 of an inch of threads showing with none of them seated against the heads of the screws.
Makes me think I may have to open everything up and make things right - Not what you should have to do with a brand new vehicle. "FEELING A LITTLE DISAPOINTED"

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.